Consider alternatives to your drive, such as walking, cycling or catching public transport.
Leaving your car at home will save you money and improve your health and wellbeing. You’ll also be helping to relieve road congestion, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve air quality.
Finding your way
The Maribyrnong TravelSmart Map(PDF, 3MB) or TravelSmart Map Information(PDF, 730KB) show all cycling, walking and public transport routes.
You can request hard copies of this from us.
Cycling for transport in Maribyrnong is guided by the Maribyrnong Bicycle Strategy 2014(PDF, 4MB) .
To make it easy and safe for you to get on your bike, we have more than 20 kms of on- and off-road paths, bicycle repair stations and lots of parking.
Find out more about local cycling routes, facilities and services.
Walking is the cheapest form of transport available. Consider swapping your car for walking shoes for short trips and enjoy some fresh air and exercise. We also have some picturesque walking circuits.
There is plenty of public transport in the City of Maribyrnong.
Car pooling and sharing
- There are multiple online carpooling programs to match you with people with similar travel origins and destinations so you can share your commute and travel costs.
- Carshare schemes operate in our municipality. As a member, you can hire cars by the hour. Evidence suggests that each carshare car takes around nine privately owned cars off the road.
The Maribyrnong Integrated Transport Strategy aims to relieve congestion on the road network, reduce transport related greenhouse gas emissions and improve air quality.
Download the summary(PDF, 5MB) or the full strategy(PDF, 5MB).
Safe Travel Plan
The Maribyrnong Safe Travel Plan(PDF, 741KB) aims to enhance road safety for all road users, especially vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists. It provides a blueprint to:
- publicise and increase community awareness of safety issues
- identify hazardous practices and physical locations
- promote changes to people's behaviour, actions and practices.