The Footscray Park Masterplan (2011) has guided improvements and developments across the park, including Maribyrnong Boulevard carpark, Mills Close Steps, the regional all-abilities play space, public toilet, picnic areas and broad scale tree planting.
Additional works to be completed in 2019 include barbecue and picnic facilities along the river, completion of the Drew’s Walk axis, a pontoon on the Maribyrnong River and improvements to the Moore Street gateway (signage).
The updated masterplan unlocks the sites potential and will strengthen the sporting landscape with the inclusion of the Melbourne Victory Football Academy.
Key changes to the revised plan include:
- a Melbourne Victory Football Club female and junior football academy incorporating 3 playing fields
- enhanced interpretation and park interactivity including free public Wi-Fi
- increased landscaping and continued boulevard planting along Ballarat Road
- ·new walking paths around the playing fields and Henry Turner South oval
- an improved car park at the eastern end along Ballarat Road.
The updated plan further builds upon the Maribyrnong Open Space Strategy, Maribyrnong Recreation Strategy, Festival City Program and the Footscray University Town project.