Apply for a personal trainer permit

Do you need a permit?

If you would like to use Maribyrnong parks, gardens or reserves for run commercial fitness training activities, you must apply for a permit.

Where can you run your sessions?

Personal training sessions are only permitted in:

You cannot run your sessions in high pedestrian areas, areas of cultural, or environmental significance, or playground or barbecue areas. More details are provided in our Guidelines for personal training in public space [LINK: PDF] which aim to:

  • promote active and healthy communities
  • ensure equity of access to public open space
  • reduce the impact of commercial fitness activities on asset condition and maintenance
  • ensure operators are appropriately covered by public liability and professional indemnity.
  • ensure the orderly and proper conduct of activities in a Council open space.

How long are permits issued for?

We issue permits for six-month periods:

  • Summer season: 1 October–31 March
  • Winter season: 1 April–30 September

Documents you need

  • Appropriate qualifications.
  • Evidence of registration with Kinect Australia, Fitness Australia or other recognised peak body association membership .
  • Relevant first aid certification.
  • Current public liability insurance which indemnifies Maribyrnong City Council to a minimum of $20 million.
  • An emergency and risk management plan.


Please complete the Application to use public open space for personal training [LINK: PDF] and submit to Council.

How much does it cost?


Category 1

3-5 participants

(not including instructor)


Category 2

6-15 participants

(not including instructor)


Category 3

16-40 participants

(not including instructor)


Category 4

Crown land use

$100 plus $2.40+GST per person, per session to be charged on a quarterly basis

More information

Get active