About the Enterprise Maribyrnong Special Committee
The Enterprise Maribyrnong Special Committee (the EMSC) was established by Council pursuant to section 86 of the Local Government Act 1989 on 19 May 2015.
The EMSC Membership
The Committee is independently chaired by James Fitzgerald and comprises 11 representatives from Maribyrnong’s key business sectors such as Education, Training and Footscray University Town – Mr Rob Brown, Retail Regional – Mr Gary Cooper, local registered trader organisations – Seddon and West Footscray – Ms Sasha Wicker and Mr Pradeep Tiwari, Manufacturing – Mr Julius Rath, and Creative Industries – Dr Jose Ramos.
The Mayor, Cr Cuc Lam and Councillors Gina Huynh and Martin Zakharov are Council’s representatives appointed to the Special Committee.
Expressions of Interest: Call for Nominations
Council is seeking nominations for a representative from either the finance, manufacturing, creative industries or transport and logistics sectors. View the Expressions of Interest for EMSC page for more information.
The EMSC has been delegated certain duties and functions to make decisions in relation to:
- Provision of strategic advice on the delivery of Council Plan goals and actions; Economic Development initiatives, programs and priorities; emerging economic development issues for the City; and the impact of State and Commonwealth economic development policy.
- Receive reports and provide comment and advice on relevant Council policies, strategies and activities as they relate to economic development.
- Promote and contribute to improving networks and connections with peak bodies; regional organisations; and key community and stakeholder groups relevant to the Economic Development policy area.
- Assist Council to identify and develop effective partnerships with other levels of Government, business organisations and peak organisations to ensure a coordinated and collaborative approach to critical economic development issues in Maribyrnong.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for business expansion to both local and new businesses.
- Proactively promote Maribyrnong’s business credentials.
- Provide input on individual projects where directed by Council.
- Provide advice based on expertise on granting of business improvement district grants for Footscray and Yarraville Business Centres on proposals to improve enterprise the local areas.
Terms of Reference
In addition to the duties and functions delegated by Council, the EMSC is guided by its Terms of Reference to assist Council in achieving its vision of the City of Maribyrnong as a leader in urban economic transition and renewal, and to create vibrant and successful urban places with excellent business opportunities and meaningful employment.
A copy of the EMSC Terms of Reference can be downloaded below.
Committee Meeting Dates, Agendas and Minutes
To view a list of meeting dates for the Committee please visit the schedule of Council and Special Committee meeting dates page.
To view agendas and minutes of the Committee please visit the Agendas and minutes page.