We support the development of leadership opportunities across our municipality. This helps uncover our future leaders, and build strong, healthy and resilient communities.
Growing our community
Starting in February 2017, this 12-week leadership program has a focus on the environment. It aims to:
- grow leadership opportunities
- build networks between groups
- encourage and increase diversity in environmental groups
- establish processes for connecting with Council.
The Growing our Community leadership program was funded by The Myer Foundation.
Braybrook on Board
In its second year, the 2016 Braybrook on Board leadership program focused on diabetes prevention, as part of a broader health and wellbeing theme.
Participants developed and delivered community projects such as community welcoming events, health and fitness programs, employment and enterprise initiatives, programs for families and children, and projects to improve neighbourhood amenity and champion gender equity.
- 28 community members have graduated from Braybrook on Board, with six participants undertaking further education at university, TAFE or VET
- 21 community projects involving 82 volunteers have been delivered, reaching more than 1,500 community members.
The impact of the program on the participants and the community has been profound. Graduates say the experience has enabled and supported their leadership aspirations and given them the confidence, skills, networks and partnerships to affect positive change in their community.
Hear how the program has impacted on the lives of participants and the broader community:
Stories to inspire
These stories follow some of our inspiring leaders from the Braybrook on Board program in 2015 and 2016:
Perspectives on leadership
We asked female leaders and two young women about their views and experiences of leadership. Listen to their stories: