Promoting gender respect and equity
To ensure our programs and services promote gender respect and equity, we deliver a range of initiatives with the community, our western region partners and within Council. These include:
- a leadership program for women with disability
- increasing the participation of women and girls in sport
- encouraging and supporting women to run in local government elections
- enhancing Council services and support for dads
- celebrate International Women's Day with a range of community events.
- being accredited as a Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace with the Australian Breastfeeding Association.
Women of the West
This film and photography project celebrates and showcases the achievements, experiences, diversity and leadership of women and girls who live, work, study or play in the City of Maribyrnong.
Directed by local artist Suzie Blake, the four short films covered the themes arts, sport and leisure, work, and family and community.
Gender equity strategy
Council's Gender equity strategy (December 2012) seeks to:
- strengthen integration of Council business which will enable a gender respectful and equitable environment
- enable diverse women’s full civic participation (social, cultural, economic and political life).
We the people of Maribyrnong declare our commitment to a community where opportunities for success are equally available to women and men; where our mothers, daughters and sisters live free from the cycle of violence; where their thoughts, ideas and opinions are heard and respected and their choices and goals in life celebrated and supported.