The City of Maribyrnong has a strong record of inclusion, recognition, and pride in the diversity of our lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex people and allied (LGBTIQA+) communities.
The 2016 – 2021 Council Plan outlines priorities and aspirations demonstrating strong leadership in promoting healthy and inclusive communities and because of this we are well placed to develop strategies to enhance the inclusion and engagement of the LGBTIQA+ community through planning, staff training, health and wellbeing initiatives and creating welcoming environments.
In the next two years Council will:
- Continue working with other local governments as part of the Western Region LGBTI Network
- Provide workforce training for staff to ensure that Council can provide inclusive and welcoming facilities and services
- Actively participate in the Midsumma Carnival and Pride March
- Celebrate significant days during the year including the IDAHOBIT Day and Intersex Awareness Day and Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Promote the Victorian government’s Inclusive Language Guide
- Identify and work with one area of Council to achieve Rainbow Tick accreditation
For more information contact Council's Diversity and Inclusion staff on 9688 0200.