Katrina from Buzz and Dig will bring joy and wonder to children in as they self discover insect biodiversity and urban sustainability on a micro level in the garden.
The Bee a Pollinator webinar will cover:
- An intro to native bees
- Your backyard and its role in supporting local biodiversity
- What bees do and why we should care
- Evolution of bees and native plants
- How to ID a bee as opposed to a fly…
- Life cycle of a native bee
- Buzz pollination
- Foraging trips
- UV colours and bees
- Top bee friendly plants
- Pesticide use
- What we can do to be a citizen scientist and provide habitat and reliable food source in our garden
- Creation of a bee hotel for your home garden
To get ready for the creation of your bee hotel, Katrina has provided a Bee Hotel Handout(PDF, 4MB) with lots of information about the materials you can prepare. You can start to forage for the materials in your garden using the list she has provided. Take note that natural and recycled materials are best and that you can really get creative with it so you should not need to buy anything new. In saying that, you can always complete the project or upgrade your accommodation later with the instructions provided.