Footscray Park Masterplan update
Published on 17 July 2019
Footscray Park is a much loved community asset and the Footscray Park Masterplan (2011) has guided improvements and developments across the park.
Additional works to be completed in 2019 include barbecue and picnic facilities along the river, completion of the Drew’s Walk axis, a pontoon on the Maribyrnong River and improvements to the Moore Street gateway (signage).
The updated masterplan unlocks the sites potential and has the capacity to strengthen the sporting landscape with the suggested inclusion of the Melbourne Victory Football Academy.
The masterplan is about developing and sharing the park to benefit as many possible users. Key changes to the revised plan include:
- a Melbourne Victory Football Club female and junior football academy incorporating 3 playing fields
- enhanced interpretation and park interactivity including free public Wi-Fi
- increased landscaping and continued boulevard planting along Ballarat Road
- ·new walking paths around the playing fields and Henry Turner South oval
- an improved car park at the eastern end along Ballarat Road
Generations have enjoyed the historic gardens and its trails and we hope new generations will enjoy the park for all it has to offer in the future.
Council is appreciative of the community input to date, and submissions relating to the proposal will continue to be received up until close of business Friday 16 August, 2019.
Community feedback relating to the proposed Masterplan will then be considered by Council, and a decision will be made at Council’s City Development Special Committee Meeting on Tuesday 27 August, 2019.
Please send your submission via email. Further information about the Masterplan, including frequently asked questions about the proposal, can been found here.