What goes into your recycling bin
To help you help us reuse and recycle as much of our waste as we can, and protect our natural resources, here are some items that can and can't go into the recycling bin.
- Aluminium cans
- Old newspapers and magazines
- Paper and cardboard
- Printed promotional material (junk mail) and envelopes
- Hard plastic bottles and containers
- Clean plastic plant pots
- Glass jars and bottles
- Plastic bags and soft plastic film like glad wrap
- Unwanted clothing items like shoes and jumpers
- Garden waste
- Food scraps
- Batteries and broken electronics
- Smashed or broken glassware or plates
What happens to the waste from recycling bins?
The items from your recycling bin are sorted at the Visy Recycling Materials Recovery Facility in Banyule.
Council does not support incineration of waste including recyclables.
Have you pledged to recycle right?
Don’t forget to take the pledge to recycle right to help us raise awareness about recycling and find out how easy it is for us to make a real difference in reducing our recyclable items going to landfill.
Take the pledge to recycle right today!
Waste reduction programs
Visit our waste reduction programs page via the link below to discover some of the ways you can reduce your waste with very little effort.