Central Registration System FAQ's

What is the Central Registration System (CRS)?

The CRS gives families the opportunity to register for a range of community-managed services including long day childcare, 3-year-old programs and 4-year-old kindergarten.

Council does not manage a register for private long day childcare centres.

What is a community-managed service?

A long day childcare and kindergarten service operated by Committees of Management or Early Years Managers.

All services must comply with the Educational and Care Services National Law and Regulations.

Does Council run the long day childcare and kindergarten services?

No we don't. We administer the CRS and provide and maintain some of the facilities for community-managed services. We also help connect families and children to other support services.

Why do I need to register through the CRS?

Registering through the CRS is the only way your child can access a place at a community-managed service.

We recommend you select up to four different services to increase your chances of being offered a place.

Can I register more than one child?

Yes. But you need to complete a separate application for each of your children.

Do I need to pay to register my child?

COVID-19 update: From 1 April 2020 until 31 December 2020 the application fee is waived for all families.

Yes. A non-refundable fee of $21 is required with each application. There is no charge for families with a valid subsidy card or Immigration Visas.

Can I register for multiple services?

Yes. You can register each child for long day childcare, 3-year-old programs and 4-year-old kindergarten at the same time or separately for each service.

If one of my children already attends a service, do I need to register my other children through the CRS?

Yes. Each child must have its own application and be individually registered.

Assisting vulnerable children and families

What is Priority of Access (POA)?

Priority of Access (POA)(PDF, 598KB) recognises Commonwealth and State Government and local area criteria to ensure fair, equitable and transparent allocation  of places for all eligible children.

Families who think they may be eligible for POA can contact us for assistance on 9688 0116 or earlyyearscentralregister@maribyrnong.vic.gov.au


Does my child have to be immunised?

Yes.  Under the new "No Jab, No Play" Victorian Government Legislation, your child needs to be immunised to attend long day childcare and/or kindergarten. You will need to provide a copy of the Immunisation Schedule so your child can enrol to attend long day childcare and/or kindergarten.

Immunisation sessions are offered by Council's Maternal and Child Health service.