Dogs Off-Lead Parks
The Domestic Animals Act 1994 requires all dog owners and people in charge of a dog to ensure the dog is securely confined on a lead in public, unless the area specifically states it is a dog off-lead area. There are 12 designated dog off-lead areas within the City of Maribyrnong which are listed below.
- Braybrook Park
- Chifley Drive Reserve
- Cranwell Reserve
- Cruickshank Park
- Footscray Park
- Hansen Reserve
- Martin Reserve
- McIvor Reserve
- Scovell Reserve
- Thompson Reserve
- Village Green
- Yarraville Gardens
To find a designated dog off-lead area that's right for you and your dog, click the running dog icon to view park details.
We've made doing the right thing with your dog easy with clear and easy to understand signage in our parks and reserves. Below are some of the images relating to dogs that you will see in our parks and reserves.
The image of the running dog indicates a designated off-lead area. Dogs must be supervised at all times when off-lead.
Dogs on-lead areas are identified by the image of the walking dog that is clearly on a lead.
||In all areas of all parks and reserves, dog owners/handlers must clean up after their dogs.
Information for dog owners/handlers
When dogs are off-lead it is the responsibility of the owner/handler to:
- Observe park signage at all times in all parks, gardens, reserves and other public open spaces.
- Clean up after dogs.
- Carry a chain, cord or leash and be able to bring their dog under effective control if the dog behaves in a manner which causes any person or animal to feel threatened or worried.
- Remain in effective voice or hand control of their dog so that the dog can be brought under effective control should it become necessary.
- Ensure that dogs do not cause worry or threaten any person or animal.
When dogs are on-lead it is the responsibility of the owner/handler to:
- Clean up after their dog.
- Ensure that the dog is under effective control of the owner/handler by means of a chain, cord, or leash no longer than three metres which is held by the owner/handler and attached to the dog.
Any breach of the above provisions can result in an infringement notice being issued.
Dogs in playgrounds
Under no circumstances are dogs permitted to enter playground areas without being on a lead. Dogs that are off-lead are not permitted to be within 30 metres of any playground area.
If you require assistance or further information please contact us by phoning 9688 0200 or send us an email to email@example.com