Preventing family violence
Family violence, violence against women and other forms of gender-based violence are serious and prevalent. But they are also preventable.
As outlined in our Towards Gender Equity 2030 strategy, our vision is that all people in Maribyrnong flourish and live free from violence and discrimination and have equal status, rights, opportunities, representation and respect, regardless of their gender.
Through our policies, programs and services, we seek to prevent violence and support community members who are affected by gender-based and family violence.
Our staff in community, youth and family services are trained to identify and respond to disclosures of violence. We will help connect you with local support services.
- Partner with local agencies to deliver response, early intervention and prevention initiatives.
- Actively participate in the annual 16 Days of Activism program which incorporates the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, International Day of People with Disability and International Human Rights Day.
Do you need help?
If you or another person is in immediate danger, contact the Police by phoning triple zero (000).
If you require interpreter services please contact Council on 9688 0200 and we'll make arrangements to for an interpreter to be available.
There is no cost involved in accessing this service.
- 1800 RESPECT are available 24/7 and provide support for people experiencing, or at the risk of experiencing, violence and abuse. They also offer advice and support to their friends, family and professionals - Phone 1800 737 732
- For 24/7 crisis support call safe steps on 1800 015 188. If you cannot safely call, email email@example.com and a support worker will reply ASAP.
- For support for women who live in the Western suburbs: Women’s Health West on 9689 9588 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Open Mon-Fri 9am – 5pm.
- Advice for men about family violence is available through the Men’s Referral Service: 1300 766 491 and Mensline: 1300 78 99 78
- For a specialist LGBTIQ family violence service call W|Respect on 1800 542 847 or visit www.withrespect.org.au
- For Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention and Legal Services (Djirra) call 1800 105 303 or visit https://djirra.org.au/
- inTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence supports migrant or refugee woman experiencing family call 1800 015 188 to speak with an inTouch worker or visit www.intouch.org.au
- Seniors Rights Victoria provides information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people call 1300 368 821 or visit https://seniorsrights.org.au/about-us/
Change The Story
Our work is guided by the Change the Story framework the national approach to preventing violence against women. Check out Change the Story, its supporting documents and accompanying video on the Our Watch website.