Apply for a filming permit

Maribyrnong has extensive parks, rivers, temples, period buildings and industrial locations to choose from. The City of Maribyrnong has a distinctive and interesting physical and social landscape shaped by its working class roots and immigration history.

It has ideal locations for filming and can offer wide open spaces, river scenes, warehouse and industry, historical and cultural settings.

Do you need a permit?

A permit must be obtained before you can film in streets, parks, gardens and other open spaces owned or managed by Council. Filming without a permit will result in a fine. Applications must be received at least 3 weeks before the intended filming date.

Granting of permits is made with consideration given to potential impacts on residents, businesses and passing motorists. Filming is usually not permitted between midnight and 6.00am.

What documents do you need?

You must attach copies of the following documents :

  • Site map/plan of location of your activities
  • Traffic/Pedestrian management map/plan
  • Risk assessment form
  • Short copy of script
  • Information letter drop to affected residents with contact person for complaints/arising issues
  • Contacted Government bodies if within their jurisdiction (Parks Victoria, Melbourne Ports or Private businesses)
  • Contacted Victoria Police
  • Parked vehicle’s location map
  • Copy of Liability insurance
  • Management of litter plan (if applicable)

How much does it cost?

Fees apply in most cases but may be waived for some projects seen to have significant community benefit.

Details of the fees are contained in the filming application form below.

How to apply

Complete the application form(PDF, 233KB) and submit to Council.

For more information, please read the Guidelines(PDF, 55KB).