StopMotion Micro Commissions
Expressions of Interest Open Now
Since 2014, City of Maribyrnong’s StreetWORKS program has commissioned over 30 artworks on walls in public space in the municipality. The program has directly contributed to realising Council’s Public Art Strategy 2019-2029’s Vision to enliven and enrich public places, foster creative communities, and stage inclusive and progressive public conversations.
Stop Motion is a pilot program that seeks to support the careers of local artists and to individualise spaces through public art that expresses local character and place distinction. Painting traffic signal boxes will provide multiple sites that are highly visible for the community to appreciate and support artists new to working in public space through the boxes regular proportions and accessible scale.
StopMotion invites expressions of interest (EOI) from artists from the West who are interested in developing their creative practice in public space to design and install site-specific artworks on traffic signal boxes in designated locations throughout City of Maribyrnong.
Professional public artists, Chuck Mayfield and Justine McAllister, will mentor the commissioned artists through the program by facilitating a one-day workshop; provide advice during the design stage; and share knowledge on best practice for the installation.
The program includes:
- $500 micro-commission fee for each artist selected for the program
- One-day workshop* facilitated by the mentors for commissioned artists to gain practical skills and knowledge on working in public space and developing site-specific designs
- Mentoring (as required) for the commissioned artists by professional public artists
- Designated traffic signal box location assigned to each commissioned artist to inspire the site specific design
- Paint, equipment and personal protection equipment (PPE) provided by Council
- Traffic management provided by Council
- Anti-graffiti coating provided by Council
*attending the workshop is obligatory for selected program participants.
Full details about the program and selection process can be found here - StreetWORKS-Traffic-Signal-Box-Pilot-Commissions-EOI-information-22.10.20.doc(DOC, 2MB)
To participate in the program artists are asked to formally apply using the online form below, or via this link by 11:59pm Wednesday 25 November 2020.