1000 Books Before School
1000 Books before School is a program which encourages parents and carers to read 1000 books with their children before they begin school. Sharing stories with babies and young children helps develop literacy skills that will prepare them for reading at school.
How 1000 Books Before School works
- Register at any Maribyrnong Library Service branch to receive your first reading record, reading kit and borrow some of our wonderful children’s books to get you started.
- A library membership is required to join the program. This may be a parent’s card, or you may like to sign your child up. Each child does not need their own card to participate.
- Mark, colour or place a sticker on your Reading Record each time you read together with your child.
- Every book that your child completes, or actively listens to also counts. This includes stories read at Story Time sessions, day care, playgroup and kindergarten, as well as reading the same book over and over again.
- A special reward will be given when you reach the following milestones: 100 books, 250 books, 500 books, 750 books and 1000 books.
- You can read books from anywhere – not just library books. Please come and talk to our friendly librarians, we are happy to help!
The program finishes once your child reaches 1000 books, or until the end of term 1 of the year your child starts school. Congratulations!