The Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre and as it is now affectionately known MAC replaced the ageing Footscray Swim Centre as the City of Maribyrnong’s key aquatic, health, fitness and leisure facility when it opened in July 2006.
A partnership between the Maribyrnong City Council, the Susan Corporation (owners of Highpoint) and funding from the State Government enabled the construction of MAC at the Robert Barret Reserve at a cost of $18 million.
Located adjacent to the Highpoint Shopping Centre at 1 Aquatic Drive Maribyrnong, MAC attracts and annual patronage in excess of 800,000 visits each year.
MAC is an award winning facility offering an extensive range of programs, facilities and services to the people of Maribyrnong and surrounding areas and aims to provide a well-managed, proactive facility - building and strengthening our diverse community through the provision of extensive recreation opportunities in a relaxed social setting.
As a council owned and operated facility, MAC’s focus is its community in providing accessibility for all by strongly supporting local schools, clubs and businesses and working in partnership with community groups, health providers and industry bodies.
The centre is comprised of the following:
- 50m x 8 lane swimming pool with viewing stand
- Leisure pool with beach entry
- Learn-to-swim teaching area with classes 7 days per week catering for all levels and age groups.
- Warm water exercise/Hydrotherapy Pool
- Spa, Sauna & Steam-room
- Therapy/Consultation rooms
- Circuit Room
- Exercise Studio offering over 50 group exercise classes per week
- Multipurpose Room providing activity, meeting, training & club-room facilities
- Childcare facilities
- Male, Female and Disabled/Family Change-rooms
- Café with indoor & outdoor seating areas
- Outdoor activity/picnic area
- Car parking