Young Performers at Phoenix
Expressions of Interest for the 2018 inaugural Young Performers at Phoenix program (the Program) are now closed.
The Program is a performer-in-residence program for young performers/theatre makers who are aged between 18 and 25 years of age.
Dates for 2019 Expressions of Interest are yet to be announced but if you are interested in this program, please let us know by messaging Phoenix Youth Hub on Facebook (@PhoenixYouthHub) or Instagram (@phoenix_youth). Alternatively, call 9091 4700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out about our 2018 recipients via the button below who now take up residence at Phoenix Youth Hub.
Find out more about the 2018 recipients
What is the Young Performers at Phoenix program?
Young Performers at Phoenix (the Program) is a performer-in-residence program for young performers/theatre makers who are aged between 18 and 25 years of age.
What is it used for?
The Program provides the opportunity for creative development of new work, rehearsals, testing and exploring performance ideas rather than staging a fully-fledged performance.
The purpose of the Program is to:
- Facilitate and support young performers and theatre makers' emerging practice through the provision of time, space, tech support, cash and networking opportunities.
- Increase the profile of Phoenix Youth Hub as a venue that is welcoming, supportive and available for young performers and theatre makers.
Who is it for?
Young performers and theatre makers who want to create performances but do not have access to rehearsal space. A young person or a group of young people need to be leading the creative process. Young people who are from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and are of diverse abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
What you get
- Up to 14 days in our Auditorium space.
- Dates and times are subject to availability and will be negotiated with Maribyrnong Youth Services. It is preferred that residency dates be in November and/or December 2018. Please note that the Hub is closed between 24 December 2018 to 2 January 2019.
- An opportunity to present your draft ideas/material to Melbourne-based theatre companies and theatre makers to advance your exposure and develop industry networks.
- Access to lighting and sound equipment, under staff supervision.
- Up to 4 hours of support from a lighting designer and/or sound engineer, paid for by Maribyrnong Youth Services, valued at $600.
- Up to $400 for production costs.
- Support by Phoenix Youth Hub’s Performing Arts and Events Officer.
What is required?
- There is no requirement to live in the City of Maribyrnong, however connections to the City of Maribyrnong will be viewed positively.
- Provide a written evaluation and summary of the residency, including images of the artistic development, which the City of Maribyrnong can use for marketing and reporting purposes, within 30 days of the residency ending.
- Acknowledge the support of Maribyrnong Youth Services and the City of Maribyrnong in future collateral relating to the work. Logos and acknowledgement details will be supplied to successful applicants.
- Pay a refundable $220 security bond.
- Provide evidence of Public Liability insurance to the value of no less than $10 million and/or purchase Public Liability Insurance for $25 from Maribyrnong City Council.