What is MYAC?
Maribyrnong Youth Advisory Committee (MYAC) has been continuously operating as the representative committee of young people to Maribyrnong City Council since 2002. MYAC is Council’s official advisory committee on young people and youth affairs. Its membership consists of young people who are living, studying, working or accessing services in the City of Maribyrnong.
MYAC’s work is guided and lead by its members and supported by Maribyrnong Youth Services. MYAC members will have the opportunity to regularly meet with Council staff and Councillors to discuss various challenges and opportunities in our community.
What does MYAC do?
MYAC meets fortnightly at Phoenix Youth Centre in Footscray. The primary role of MYAC is to consult with other young people about the topics important to them. MYAC aims to advocate towards decision-makers and communities to make the voice of young people heard and to make improvements in these areas through better policies, services, campaigns etc. In the past MYAC has fulfilled that tasks through various activities, such as:
- participated in consultations about policies and strategies that concern young people: MYAC members have provided their opinion on topics like the future of libraries in our municipality; new 10-year plan for children, young people and their family, sexual health education and others
- conducted their own consultations with other young people and lobbied towards decision-makers: in the lead up to the Federal Election in 2019, MYAC members consulted 110 young people in Maribyrnong, put together a Young People’s Platform from the results of the consultation and went to Canberra to meet and advocate for our local Federal Members of Parliament
- initiated and led events such as Youth Forum, Lead On and others
- attended trainings and professional development to improve their knowledge and skills
- met with Council officers and Councillors to discuss issues that matter to young people
See the video below from MYAC's trip to Canberra in 2019:
Who can be part of MYAC?
At the beginning of each year, Maribyrnong Youth Services is makes an open call for new members: all young people aged 12 to 25 who are either living, studying, working or accessing services within the City of Maribyrnong, and who are interested and available to dedicate their time to represent the voice of other young people and develop new skills, can submit their application.