Business Renewables Buying Group
We are joining together with councils across Victoria to assist businesses to purchase renewable energy and cut their emissions.
If you are a large market energy consumer and want to join a group to purchase 100% renewable electricity, please complete the expression of interest here: Expression of interest form for businesses
Watch previous webinars on-demand
What is the Business Renewables Buying Group?
The Business Renewables Buying Group is designed to bring together a group of like-minded businesses seeking to switch to 100% renewable electricity. With the support of an external facilitator, the group will work collectively to scale up their buying power whilst cutting complexity, time, and cost associated with going 100% renewable.
The Business Renewable Buying Group is open to businesses across Victoria consuming over 500mWh per annum of electricity (spending ~$100,000 per annum).
Through the Business Renewables Buying Group we are striving to build and refine this model and create a repeatable and scalable group purchasing method to support more businesses to join a renewable future.
Why join the Business Renewables Buying group?
- Improved market response for your businesses, with more options and potential price benefits due to increased load
- Ability to work with others who are going through similar decisions to compare considerations and support each other
- Reduced project costs and staff time by spreading the workload across the group
- The process is led by an experienced facilitator, with access to specialist strategic advice
What are the benefits for your business?
- Cost effective way to reduce emissions and deliver on your strategic goals
- Long term and stable pricing provide budget certainty and reduces exposure to energy market volatility
- Avoid repeated internal procurement processes over the duration of the PPA contract
- Participation in this project and renewable energy purchase can provide reputation, branding and leadership benefits
- Opportunity to directly support the renewable energy industry
This project is supported by Maribyrnong City Council, and will be available to all Victorian businesses who qualify for the large electricity market. In the event the group is over-subscribed, preference will be given to the larger electricity consumers.
Other common questions
What is a Group Renewable Power Purchase Agreement?
- A group renewable Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) is a long-term agreement for an energy buyer to purchase a quantity of electricity generated by an off-site renewable energy project, such as a solar or wind farm.
- The group element simply refers to more than one business or organisation pooling their electricity demand collectively to get a better outcome.
Who is the facilitator?
The participating councils will run a competitive process to appoint the facilitator to actively support the Business Buying Group.
The facilitator will be highly experienced with a successful track record of arranging group buys.
The facilitator will:
- Provide an initial overview of the benefits to your business.
- Coordinate of group meetings and engagement.
- Advise on and contract the ‘energy advisor’ and ‘legal counsel’ on behalf of the group.
- Prepare and release tender documents on behalf of the group.
- Assist with analysis of offers and recommendation
Why are councils getting more involved?
- Victorian councils are leading the establishment of three landmark agreements including, Melbourne Renewable Energy Project (MREP) 1 & 2 and the Victorian Energy Collaboration (VECO).
- Councils’ experience with both MREP and VECO projects highlights the essential need for a project facilitator to support and coordinate all the parties in switching to renewable energy and ensuring a successful outcome.
- Victorian councils are uniquely placed to leverage their experience and capabilities to support businesses to transition to renewable electricity. They will engage an independent facilitator to assist businesses and provide the option for participation in a renewable energy buying group.