How to lodge a complaint

All members of the public have the right to lodge a complaint about any of the services Council provides.

Council views a complaint as a means to potentially improve upon the delivery of existing services to its community.

How can I make a complaint?

An individual can make a complaint by:


9688 0200


In writing:

Maribyrnong City Council, PO Box 58, West Footscray, Victoria 3012

In person:

Customer Service, Footscray Library, 56 Paisley Street, Footscray between 10am and 5pm, Monday to Friday

Mobile App:

Download Council's app from the App Store for iOS devices or Google Play for Android devices.

Complaints Management Process

Upon the receipt of a complaint Council will take a four tiered approach to resolution.

1. Frontline Resolution

Council officer receives the complaint, assesses it and resolves the complaint immediately, if possible.

2. Investigation

If frontline staff are not in a position to resolve a complaint it will be forwarded to an appropriate officer/area of Council for investigation.

3. Internal Review

If a complainant is unhappy with the process or outcome of the initial resolution/investigation, they can request an internal review by a more senior officer, which will generally be the Manager of the area the complaint was referred.

4. Access to External Review

If the complainant is dissatisfied with the process or outcome of the internal review, Council officers will inform complainants of external review options.



If complainants would like more information, or to lodge a complaint in their own language, the free Telephone Interpreting Service is available by calling 131 450 and ask the service operator to contact Maribyrnong City Council on 9688 0200.

National Relay Service

Contact Council through the National Relay Service using one of the methods below. Once connected ask for 03 9622 0200.

  • TTY users: 133 677
  • Speak and Listen: 1300 555 727 (speech to speech users)
  • Internet Relay users: