Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 (the Act) all cats and dogs over 3 months old must be microchipped and registered with Council.
The registration year is from 11 April to 10 April the following year. The 2024 to 2025 registration period will start from 19 February 2024 and any new registration will be valid until 10 April 2025.
Pet owners are responsible for ensuring that pet registration renewals are completed by 10 April each year.
Full year fees below for registration period 11 April 2024 to 10 April 2025
Full fee with Pensioner discount
Reduced fee (see below conditions)
Reduced fee with Pensioner concession
Registered Guide Dog, Assistance Dog, or Government Authority Dog
Dangerous dog or restricted dog breed*
* You need to contact us before registering a restricted breed or dangerous dog.
Register your pet now
There are no refunds available for cancelled registrations, including deceased pets or pets moved to another Council. Please see the transfer options below.
No part payments or payment plans are permitted for pet registrations.
Reduced Fee Conditions
The following conditions are eligible for a reduced fee:
- Your pet is desexed (supporting documentation must be provided).
- Your pet is over 10 years of age (supporting documentaton from a registered vet must be provided).
- Your dog is a registered breeding dog.
- Your dog is working stock.
- Your dog is registered with an applicable organisation.
Do you have multiple animals?
If you keep more than number of animals allowed on a property, you are required to apply for a permit.
Register your pet online now
If you have all the required information and documents you can easily apply to register your pet online.
You are able to apply online if you:
- Are over the age of 18
- Are not registering a restricted breed, dangerous, menacing or guard dog
- Are not registering more pets than allowed without a permit
- Have proof of microchipping (A microchipping certificate must be provided with your application and can be obtained from your breeder, shelter, vet or National Microchip Registry)
- Have proof of eligible pension if applicable (Pension Card, Veterans Affairs File or TPI entitlement). Health care card holders are not eligible. To calculate this fee you must enter select the relevant Pension Type and enter the Pension Card Number on the Owner Details page of the online form
- Have proof of desexing if applicable (Desexing Certificate can be obtained from your vet). To calculate this fee you must select Yes for the Desexed question on the Animal Details page of the online form
- Have proof that your pet is over 10 years old if applicable (can be obtained from your vet). To calculate this fee you must select 10 years or over from the Other Reduced Fees drop down on the Animal Details page of the online form
- Have proof of any other eligible reduced fees if applicable
Dogs - Obedience trained (puppy school training not applicable), registered breeding dog, registered with an applicable organisation or working stock
Cats – registered breeding cat or registered with an applicable organisation
To calculate these reduced fees you must select the relevant option from the Other Reduced Fees
drop down list on page two of the online application form.
If you have all the required information and supporting documentation, you can apply online now.
Apply online now
Please make sure all the correct details and documents are provided before accepting the declaration and making payment. For multiple pets you will need to submit one online registration per pet. No refunds will be processed once submitted.
If you pay for a higher registration fee but meant to provide information to pay a reduced fee, you can still update your registration separately afterwards. A refund for the difference will not be done but the record can be updated so the relevant fee is calculated for the next renewal period.
Once you submit online, your application will be processed by our Compliance team. If all details and supporting documentation are correct you will receive your pet’s new tag and confirmation of registration in the post a few days later.
Please be aware that any false information provided may result in your pet being unregistered and may incur enforcement action and penalties.
Alternatively you can register a new pet by:
Guide Dog / Assistance Dog / Government Authority Dog
Registered Guide Dog - Supporting documentation from Guide Dogs Australia or SEDA (Seeing Eye Dogs Australia)
Assistance Dog - Supporting documentation confirming the applicant has a disability that necessitates an assistance dog, which has been trained to alleviate the effects of the disability as per the definition under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, has completed required training, is at least 12 months old, and is desexed.
Visit Agriculture Victoria for more information on Guide Dogs or Assistance Dogs.
Government Authority Dog - Supporting documentation from Australian Border Force or Customs.
Pet registration transfers
Maribyrnong City Council accepts a transfer of registration within the Council and from other Councils within Australia.
If your pet is registered to 10 April 2023 please use the online registration form above and make payment. If your pet is registered to 10 April 2024 please see below on how to transfer free of charge.
Transferring registration within Maribyrnong City Council
If your currently registered pet passes away or no longer resides in our Council, you can register a new pet free of charge for the remainder of the registration year. You can transfer online now. For multiple pets you will need to submit one online transfer per pet.
Transferring registration from other Councils within Australia
If you move to Maribyrnong City Council and your pet is currently registered with another Council within Australia, you still need to register your pet with Maribyrnong City Council. You will need to provide evidence of your current registration in that Council. The registration will then be free of charge for the remainder of the registration year.
If your pet is registered to 10 April 2023 you must register and pay online. For multiple pets you will need to submit one online registration per pet.
If your pet is registered to 10 April 2024 you can transfer and register online now for free. For multiple pets you will need to submit one online registration per pet.
Alternatively you can transfer a pet registration by:
Central Animal Records
Once you have registered your pet with us, you should also make sure their details are provided to Central Animal Records which is an accredited microchip registry. Having you pet's details updated with them can assist in the recovery of your pet if they go missing.
Pet registration updates and change of ownership
You can easily update details on your pet registration record or update ownership online. Please visit the pet registration updates page for more information and simple online forms.
Request a replacement tag or registration certificate
If you need a replacement tag or copy of your pet's registration certificate you can easily request them online.