Report a Nuisance Cat or Dog

Pets Report a Nuisance Animal.png

Before you report a barking dog

Neighbours can help solve barking problems by communicating their concerns and needs to each other. Neighbours can assist by identifying the reasons for excessive barking and noting what is happening in the area when the dog is barking.

Try and establish a relationship with your neighbour and their dog. This may assist with the issue. You may be in a position to offer to exercise the dog when its owner is unable due to work commitments, illness or other reasons.

For additional steps to take before reporting a barking dog in your neighbourhood, please download our Barking Dog booklet below.

Barking Dog booklet(PDF, 192KB)

What should you report to Council?

You can report pets that trespass on another person's property or creates disturbing noises.

You can also report owners who do not:

  • comply with on and off lead rules
  • clean up after their dog
  • comply with domestic animal restrictions
  • look after their pets well
  • feed or encourage the presence of feral or stray animals.

You should immediately report animals that cause injury or endanger the health of another animal or person. Please see the dog attacks and rushes page for more information.

 Note - for wildlife issues, please contact the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning on 13 61 86.

What information should you include?

  • A description of animal, including breed (if known), colour and any markings
  • The precise details of what happened
  • The time and duration of the incident/s
  • The location of the incident or animal
  • The name and address of the owner
  • Any aggravating circumstances, such as injuries


Call (03) 9688 0200 for urgent matters or make a request online.