Quarry Park, Footscray
Quarry Park is a large municipal reserve located off Farnsworth Avenue in Footscray. The land was a former quarry and then landfill site, which ceased operation in 1988.
Council endorsed the Quarry Park Masterplan (the Masterplan) in December 2016. The vision for the Masterplan is a dramatic, sculpted landscape which creates a distinct character as viewed from the surrounding area, while maximising the experience of the open, elevated landscape with spectacular views.
The Masterplan caters for a variety of activities including: play; walking; biking; informal sports; social gatherings / picnics and barbecues and community events. The park will also contain the Korean War Memorial, which will honour the Australians who served in the Korean War, 1950-53.
The implementation of the Masterplan will be staged over a number of years.
Stage 1 Works and Mountain Bike Facilities
Stage 1 of the Masterplan is now complete with the Mountain Bike Trails and Skills Park opened on 12 October 2019.
Stage 1 works have included:
- Soil capping of the upper oval and northern edge of the site
- Turf and irrigation improvements
- Construction of the Korean War Memorial.
The Mountain Bike facilities at Quarry Park comprise:
- an ascent trail rated easy/green
- an easy/green descent trail
- two intermediate/blue descent trails, one with jumps
- a skills park; a single direction loop with three tracks in the flat area focused on skills development with technical features such as balance beams, berms, rock features etc
- pump tracks (junior track with dirt surface and intermediate track with asphalt surface) with highly sculpted loops full of rollers and berms that users can 'pump' around without pedaling.
This project was delivered in a partnership with the Victorian Government through a Community Sports Infrastructure Grant.
Visitors driving to Quarry Park should park at Footscray Park off Farnsworth Avenue where there is ample public parking.
Quarry Park, Footscray 3011 View Map