Building and planning

If you want to make a change to a property you may need a planning permit. Planning permits are required when you want to:

  • develop land
  • use it for a particular purpose or
  • subdivide

This might include when you want to renovate or build a house, install a driveway or operating a business from home.

A building permit may also be required if you are undertaking any building work on your property. Planning permits and building permits are different and you may need both depending on the proposed building work, property development or land use. If your project triggers a planning permit, you must have the planning permit before a building permit can be issued and all building permits must be approved prior to works being undertaken.

If you are considering building work on your property seek advice from Council to confirm whether a building permit, planning permit or both is required. Maribyrnong Council does not currently issue building permits, these are available through a registered Private Building Surveyor who can also provide building permit advice.