Maribyrnong Flood Recovery

Maribyrnong River flood

Council continues to provide support to residents impacted by the Maribyrnong River flood.

Community Recovery Information Support Session - Thursday 29 Feburary

We will be hosting another community recovery information support session.

The drop-in session is designed to provide information, and opportunity to engage with services in person, and aims to support community into the second year of recovery.

Agencies available in-person will include:

  • Council Planners/Building Team: Ask questions about building and planning needs
  • Department of Transport and Planning: Find out about Connecting Community to Builders Program
  • cohealth: Learn about health services in your community
  • Anglicare: Free financial counselling
  • Disaster Legal Aid: Understand legal aspects following disaster
  • Consumer Action Law Centre

Date & Time: Thursday 29 February, drop in 4 - 7pm

Location: Maribyrnong Community Centre, 9 Randall Street, Maribyrnong

Light refreshments will be provided, and an interpreter service will be available at the event.

Weekend Tai Chi - Saturdays until 30 March

Tai Chi is a great way to relax and improve your overall health and wellbeing.

Classes are free, and will be run by experienced instructor Alfred Ng

Drop in to join a class, registrations are not required.

When: 9:30am every Saturday until 30 March 2024, please arrive 5-10 minutes early

Where: Maribyrnong Community Centre, 9 Randall Street, Maribyrnong

Comfortable clothing is recommended. 

Financial Support for Flood Impacted Maribyrnong Residents

2023/2024 Maribyrnong River Flood Rebate Application 50% Rebate Off Rates and Municipal Charge for the First and Second Instalment

Your general rates including the municipal charge rebate will be adjusted by 50% and the waste service charge will be adjusted in full.

Approval for this application will only be granted on the basis that the occupied main dwelling is still impacted by the 2022 October flood event.

Financial Relief Extended for Flood Impacted Maribyrnong Residents

An extension of the flood rebate for Maribyrnong residents impacted by the October 2022 Flood Event was endorsed at a Council Meeting on Tuesday 21 February 2023.

A 50% rebate on the 2023/24 third and fourth quarter rates and municipal charges instalment will apply. Rebates do not apply to the State Government Fire Service Levy.

If your property was affected by the recent floods in Maribyrnong, you can apply for the rebate by completing the online application, or download the application form below and submit it to Council by email to

Following the submission of your application a member of our team will contact you to discuss your situation.

To complete the application you will need your rates assessment number which can be found on your rates assessment notice.

Flood affected ratepayers are also able to enter into a minimum payment arrangement for Municipal Rates and Charges to support individual circumstances, with no interest charged. The waste charge for the 2023/24 has already been waived. Legal action for the collection of rates and charges on any impacted property has also been suspended.

Rates Payment Arrangements for Flood Affected Properties

Council is providing the option to enter into a rates payment arrangement in relation to the third and fourth instalment of rates.

If your property was affected by the floods in Maribyrnong you can apply for a minimum payment arrangement.

You can submit an online application or download the application form below.

Submit an application online

Hard waste disposal

A reminder that council provides one free hard rubbish collection service per property each calendar year which must be booked in advance.

The collection service is for items that are larger than your kerbside bin, and are collected inside your property. We collect up to 2m of combined hard and metal waste, and up to 4m of green waste per collection.

For more information regarding disposal of waste, or to book a collection, visit, Hard waste collectionsor contact Customer Service on 9688 0200


Building and Planning Support

Building and Planning support

Making homes habitable again, reinstalling fencing and securing planning approvals, building permits and occupancy certificates after the October 2022 floods can present new challenges for residents.

Council’s building and planning teams are here to help you understand what groundwork, forms, building permits and planning permits may be needed for any works to meet applicable standards. If you are undertaking significant repairs, rebuilding or developing flood-affected land (including electrical or plumbing work) it’s crucial to seek guidance on the relevant building safety regulations. Planning permits may also be needed for demolition, building or renovating, fence repairs or replacements.

Early advice can save time, money, energy and stress and our teams are committed to providing clear advice and step-by-step guidance as you move forward in recovery. For this reason, Council this year ran regular weekly drop-in building and planning support sessions 2-5pm from mid-July to October at the Maribyrnong Community Centre. Over 14 weeks, eight people attended the drop-in sessions with face-to-face property enquiries. Most other flood-related building enquiries have continued to be received outside these sessions.

Changes to service

We are now changing how we continue to deliver building and planning support for flood-affected property owners on an ongoing basis. You are encouraged to make individual appointments for specific advice on flood-related building or property development issues.

Council’s building and planning officers are happy to meet with residents on-site by request. This is the best way to receive practical advice, whilst viewing a property together.

If you prefer to discuss your plans elsewhere, please request a time to meet our building and planning officers at the Maribyrnong Community Centre, or suggest a location that suits you. Normal fees which apply to this type of advice have been waived as part of Council’s Flood Recovery Program.

Our officers are committed to walking you through Council’s application processes and policies, as well as identifying if you may need to engage an independent building surveyor or planning firm.

Our teams are always available via our Customer Service number (03) 9688 0200. Choose the option to the Building and Planning department for a direct transfer. Should you need a translator to assist during these discussions, please let us know. If you prefer email, you can seek support via

Note: If there is a marked increase in the volume of building and planning enquiries involving flood recovery, we may resume drop-in sessions in early 2024.

Ongoing Support

Flood Recovery Hotline

Emergency Recovery Victoria is still offering help to flood impacted communities across Victoria

Call 1800 560 760 for support with

  • repairs
  • accommodation
  • financial support
  • mental health support

The hotline is answered between 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday

For further information visit the Emergency Recovery Victoria webpage.

Case Management

Windermere has been activated as a case management referral agency for residents of Maribyrnong, providing support around longer-term accommodation.

For more information call the Flood Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760 or visit the Emergency Recovery Victoria webpage.

Re-establishment Assistance

Re-establishment assistance is available if your principal place of residence has been damaged or destroyed. 

Eligibility for this payment depends on your household income. To be eligible, you:

  • did not have building (home) insurance or contents insurance
  • are experiencing financial hardship

To apply, call 1300 475 170 or visit the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing website.

Applications have now closed as at 5pm, 31 July 2023

Business Support

Mentors are available to guide Business owners through other support available and help manage insurance and landlord issues, assess impacts and form strategies for recovery.

For more information visit the Business Victoria website.

Free, confidential, mental health and wellbeing support is also available.  For more information visit the Partners in Wellbeing website or phone 1300 375 330.

Insurance update July 2023

Insurance providers have been focused on reviewing and progressing claims in Maribyrnong.

This will continue, however people are encouraged to contact their insurance provider directly to discuss repair timeframes, temporary accommodation needs or any other claim or policy questions. 

You can make a complaint at any stage of the process, if you are not satisfied.

For more information on Insurance recovery and claims process visit


Health and Wellbeing Support

My Mental Health - services, directory and online support:

Help and support is available to maintain mental health and wellbeing and includes local services and resources in a number of languages visit:  My Mental Health

Head to Health:

Access free mental health resources and services at Head to Health or to speak to a trained mental health professional contact 1800 595 212

Cohealth Recovery Support Program

The program offers screening and assessments to determine immediate and long term needs for people affected by emergencies. For more information contact:

Services supporting the community:

Lifeline: call 13 11 14, 24 hours, seven days a week or visit

1800 RESPECT: call 1800 737 732, 24 hours or visit

Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre: call 1800 015 188, 24 hours, seven days a week, or visit

GenWest: call 1800 436 937, email or visit

InTouch Multicultural Centre against Family Violence: call 1800 755 988, or visit

Djirra, support for Aboriginal people, call 1800 105 303, or visit

MensLine Australia: call 1300 789 978 or visit

Seniors Rights Victoria: call 1300 368 821, or visit

Kids helpline: call 1800 551 800, or visit

Donations via GIVIT

Donations via GIVIT

GIVIT continue to assist impacted communities with items and gift vouchers. If you require support, please reach out to us via:

Anyone with goods they are wanting to donate to help flood affected families should visit the GIVIT website where offers can be lodged.

Community Recovery Committee (CRC)

A Community Recovery Committee (CRC) was endorsed at a Council Meeting on 7 February 2023, to support the recovery efforts post the 2022 Maribyrnong River flood event.

The committee consists of a majority of community members, for a term of 18 months, who will provide guidance, support, and advice on what recovery will look like for their local community.

River Ward Cr Sarah Carter is a member of the committee, working with other members and advocating on the community's behalf. Cr Anthony Tran will step in when the Cr Carter is unavailable. 

Expressions of interest (EOI) closed at 5pm, Friday 24 February, however interested participants can contact us directly to join our waitlist.

How to submit an EOI

Interested residents can download a copy of the Terms of Reference here(PDF, 233KB), and submit an EOI by:

Complete an online EOI here

Documents and links

Parliamentary flood submission

On 26 April 2023, Council unanimously endorsed a submission to the Parliamentary Inquiry into the 2022 Victorian Floods. The submission provides suggestions on key actions to be undertaken to minimise the impacts of future events:

  • A review of warning systems to ensure it is accessible to all in the community and information is provided in a consistent way.
  • Improved coordination between different government agencies to ensure that roles are defined.
  • A clear framework and agreements between relevant organisations and agencies in respect of clean-up activities, management of volunteers and the roll out of funding support.
  • An assessment of current flood management and land use planning framework to ensure they are fit for purpose and mitigate the risks and impacts of future flood events.
  • A mitigation plan, including funding, must be developed for Maribyrnong to minimise the impact of future flood events.

Visit the Agenda and Minutes page to read the submission in full in the agenda for the City Development Delegated Committee meeting held on 26 April 2023 (page 155).

Melbourne Water Maribyrnong River Flood Review

Maribyrnong City Council's submission to Melbourne Water's Maribyrnong River Flood Review

Council has lodged a formal submission to Melbourne Water’s Maribyrnong River Flood Review.

525 properties in the township were impacted during the October flood event with ongoing health, social and economic impacts still being felt.

In its submission Council seeks to challenge the narrow scope of the review, and in particular the specific exclusion of policy responses and mitigation measures.

It also addresses the impact of the event, noting rebuild and recovery processes are still underway, Flood Modelling and Warnings, the Flemington Racecourse Wall, Flooding and Land Use Planning, and Melbourne Water’s role in Emergency Management.

Council’s submission notes a number of areas where it believes the review needs to provide clear recommendations to ensure flood hazards and the impacts of future floods can be minimised.

Click here to read the submission in full in the agenda for the City Development Delegated Committee meeting held on 28 March 2023 (page 73).

Melbourne Water Maribyrnong River Flood Review

Submissions to the review by Melbourne Water into the October 2022 flood event have now closed.

For more information regarding the progress of the review visit Melbourne Water’s Maribyrnong River Flood Review webpage.

Livestream of Community Meeting - 25 October 2022

On Tuesday 25 October, Council held a community meeting where representatives from Council, EPA, Disaster Recovery Australia, Emergency Recovery Victoria and cohealth were in attendance to share information with the community and answer questions. 

The meeting was livestreamed, and a recording can be viewed below. 

Livesteam of Community Meeting - 15 December 2022

On Thursday 15 December, we held a community meeting at Maribyrnong Community Centre with presentations given by Council, VicSES and Melbourne Water, facilitated by Victoria Police. 

View the recording of the presentations below.

Further information

For up to date information visit the VicEmergency website.

For current road and traffic information visit the VicRoads website.

Maribyrnong River floods before and after


Need help contacting us?

The following services can help you connect with us. These are free services.

Interpreting Services

The free Telephone Interpreting Service is available by calling 131 450, and ask the service operator to contact Maribyrnong City Council on 9688 0200.

Deaf, speech or hearing impaired

Contact Council through the National Relay Service using one of the methods below. Once you are connected ask for 9688 0200.

  • TTY users: 133 677
  • Speak and Listen: 1300 555
  • 727 (speech to speech users)
  • Internet Relay. Users: