Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to pay rates?

Councils collect rates from residents and businesses to help fund vital community services and infrastructure, help build a sustainable and prosperous city and support strong communities.

Each day Council delivers more than 60 services and programs that help people and communities, making Maribyrnong a diverse and vibrant place to live, work and play.

What do my rates pay for?

Your rates allow Council to deliver a variety of services that impact almost every aspect of day-to-day life. Some of these services include:

  • Waste management
  • Activation and festivals
  • Building maintenance
  • Early years and maternal and child health
  • Community Centres
  • Libraries
  • Youth services
  • Open space, city design and strategic planning
  • Traffic management
  • Capital improvement works

How are my rates calculated?

Rates are based on the combination of two variables plus the municipal charge:

  • the rate in the dollar – set by Council each year
  • the valuation – the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of your property
  • municipal charge – the same set amount for every ratepayer in the municipality

The example below is for a residential property with a general rate based on CIV of $750,000, a waste services management charge, municipal charge and no pensioner rebate.

General Rates ($750,000 x $0.00251733)
Municipal Charge
Waste Service Charge 1 - 2 services
Fire Service Levies

You can find out more on our ‘how your rates are calculated’ page.

What is the waste charge on my rates notice?

Council’s annual waste  management service charge is now shown as a separate item on your rates notice, this cost was previously absorbed into the overall rates you paid.

The charge includes your weekly rubbish and fortnightly recycling bin collection, one general rubbish and green hard waste collection for the year.

Find out more about Council’s waste management on our website or to order additional bins you can complete the online form.


When are rates due?

Rates are paid in four instalments:

  • 30 September
  • 30 November
  • 28 February
  • 31 May

You can pay the whole amount of rates and charges in one payment if you choose to do so by same due date as first instalment.

Can I pay my rates online?

Yes, you can pay your rates online via  MyMaribyrnong or  Post Billpay


What happens if my rates payment is late?

For information regarding late payments please visit our Late Payments page.

How is my property valued?

The Valuer-General is the sole authority on land valuations that take place annually. Council has no jurisdiction over valuing residential properties for rates purposes.

The Local Government Act and the Valuation of Land Act require all properties in Victoria to be revalued each year. The valuation on your rates notice is based on the value of the property as at 1 January 2023.

It is important to note that property revaluations do not increase the amount of rate revenue raised by Council - it only redistributes who pays the rates.

Who values my property?

Valuations are carried out by qualified valuers employed by the Valuer-General Victoria.

The valuers operate under the highest standards of professionalism and ethics. All valuers must declare their impartiality before undertaking valuations. They also undertake to perform all valuations to the best of their ability and judgement.

How often is my property valued?

Valuations are carried out each year by the Valuer-General.

Why has my valuation increased?

There are various reasons as to why your property valuation has changed. Changes may be in response to:

  • Higher sales figures in the area which increases the value of your property.
  • Improvements to the area such as local developments.
  • Changes to planning zones.
  • Consolidation of land and increased dwellings affect property values.
  • Improvements to properties.

What if I don’t agree with my valuation?

Under sections 16, 17 and 18 of the Valuation of Land Act 1960 ratepayers have a right to object to a property valuation.

Objections must be lodged within two months of the date of issue on your rates notice.

To lodge an objection to a Council rates notice visit the rating valuation objections portal

All rates and charges must be continued to be paid until your objection is resolved to avoid any penalty interest.

I lodged an objection but I still don’t have a result

The process may take a few months before you are notified of an outcome. You can contact the appointed valuer to check the progress of an objection. Objections are required to be approved by the Valuer-General.

What is the Capital Improved Value system?

The Capital Improved Value (CIV) system is the most commonly used valuation by Victorian Councils. It takes into account the full development value of the property and is also reflective of the general market value of the property as at the date of valuation.

The CIV system also allows residents to see how much they are paying for waste management. This cost was previously absorbed into the overall rates residents paid.

The calculation for CIV has a general rate for residents and a differential rate is applied to other types of land, such as commercial, industrial and vacant land.

How is the rate in the dollar calculated?

See example below:

  • Council plans to raise a total of $10 million of rate revenue.
  • The total CIV of all rateable properties in the municipality is $2.6 billion.
  • The rate in the dollar is set by dividing $10 million by $2.6 billion to get a rate in the dollar of 0.385 cents.

What are differential rates?

Council sets differential rates, for different categories of rateable land such as commercial, industrial and vacant land.

Council believes each differential rate will contribute to the equitable and efficient carrying out of council functions.

To view the differential rates for various types of land visit the How Your Rates are Calculated page.

Can I apply for a concession on my rates and how?

If you hold a current pensioner concession card or a Veteran Affairs card, you are eligible to receive a rebate on your rates.

You will need to complete a municipal rates concession application form and submit to Council. Visit our application for rebate page

What is a municipal charge

The municipal charge is a uniform amount for every ratepayer in the municipality. The municipal charge is $20.

What is the Fire Services Property Levy?

The Victorian Government requires all councils to collect the Fire Services Levy from ratepayers. All funds received by Council through this levy go directly to supporting the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and the Country Fire Authority. For more information visit the State Revenue Services Office website

What happens if I don’t pay my rates?

Any unpaid rates remain a debt on the property, regardless of any change of ownership. If rates or charges remain overdue for more than three years without an arrangement made with Council, we may obtain a court order enabling it to sell, or assume ownership, of the land to recover the debt.

What if I am having difficulty paying my rates?

If you are experiencing financial hardship or difficulty paying your rates, please contact us immediately on 9688 0200. We may be able to negotiate your repayment arrangements before you miss a payment.

All unpaid rates will incur a penalty interest rate of 10 per cent per annum after the payments due date. The interest charged on overdue rates and charges applies to annual and both instalment payment methods and is fixed by the Attorney General under the Penalty Interest Rates Act 1983.