About Melbourne 9
Melbourne 9 (M9) is an alliance of nine inner Melbourne councils that work collaboratively and advocate for issues and projects of mutual interest. This collaborative partnership is made up of the Cities of Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Port Phillip, Stonnington, Yarra, Moonee Valley, Merribek, Hobsons Bay and Darebin.
These inner Melbourne councils work together to strengthen the liveability, attraction and prosperity across Melbourne.
M9 was previously known as the Inner Melbourne Action Plan Implementation Committee (IMAPIC) which was dissolved following a review in March 2020. The review was to facilitate the formation of an expanded work program, and to incorporate the Cities of Merribek, Moonee Valley, Darebin and Hobsons Bay.
The M9 objectives are to:
- Undertake strategic, evidence-based, targeted and effective advocacy campaigns.
- Engage strategically with key decision-makers to advocate on priority areas and build genuine partnerships with government representatives.
- Enable best practice to be shared across greater Melbourne councils.
- Undertake joint partnership and collective action, particularly where there are market failures and/or policy gaps.
The M9 has collectively agreed on the following six advocacy priorities:
- Active transport.
- Affordable housing.
- Economic recovery.
- Community resilience.
- Waste and circular economy.
- Renewable energy.
To view these priorities in detail and for further information visit the Melbourne 9 website.