Sons of the West
Registrations are NOW OPEN!
This free, 10-week men's health program aims to improve the mental and physical wellbeing of men living, working or recreating in the City of Maribyrnong.
Learn about a broad range of health topics, increase your physical activity levels, enjoy eating healthier food and make improvements to your mental wellbeing. Most importantly, share your health and wellbeing journey with support from other like minded men in Maribyrnong.
The 2021 Sons of the West program is commence in March and will be delivered face-to-face and online!
- West Footscray (Tuesday evenings)
- Braybrook (Wednesday evenings)
- via Zoom (Monday evenings)
Face-to-Face Program Details
West Footscray Location
Where: RecWest Footscray, crn Essex street & Market street - View map
Dates: Tuesdays, commencing March 16 – May 25 (excluding April 6 – Easter break)
Where: RecWest Braybrook, 39 Lily street - View map
Dates: Wednesdays, commencing March 17 – May 26 (excluding April 7 – Easter break)
What to expect?
Each week, the face-to-face programs involve:
- 1 hour of health education presented by a different local health professional
- 15 minutes for social activities and informal catch-ups
- 1 hour of physical activity guided by a personal trainer or exercise physiologist; and
- opportunities to access a provisional psychologist for one-one-one mental wellbeing support.
Online Program Details
Online via Zoom
Dates: Mondays, commencing March 15 - May 24
What to expect?
Each week, the online program provides:
- 45 minute health webinars via Zoom with guest speakers presenting on a range of health topics
- 30 minute small group discussions with social activities and access to a provisional psychologist for one-on-one (online) mental wellbeing support; and
- access to online physical activity and other interactive health resources
Joining the online sessions
Using a laptop?
Simply click on the 'Zoom' link sent to your email to access the program each week (the link is emailed to you once you register for the program).
Using a smartphone or tablet?
Download the free app to your device before your session starts - Apple or Android. Then use the information sent to you via email after registering to join the session.
What health topics are covered?
Previous Sons of the West programs have covered the following health topics:
- Mental health
- Cultural diversity
- Gender equity
- Cancer prevention
- Alcohol habits
- Gambling harm
- Heart health
For more information about the Sons of the West
Please get in touch via email or call 9688 0200