The mighty volunteer groups helping to keep Maribyrnong beautiful
Published on 05 December 2018
Behind the scenes of Maribyrnong’s reserves, waterways and streets are dedicated volunteers that donate their time and effort to help keep our City beautiful.
With support from Council, nine groups made up of over 200 members meet regularly to mulch, plant, remove weeds and pick up rubbish.
In 2018 alone, these mighty groups have collectively:
- planted around 9,000 native plants
- removed about 13,000m3 of weeds
- mulched 150m3 around plants, and
- picked-up around 5,880 bottles and cans, and
- removed 3 tonne of other general rubbish.
Maribyrnong City Council would like to give a special thank you to all the members of these groups for their outstanding efforts:
- The Green Army
- Friends of Newell’s Paddock
- Friends of Cruickshank Park
- Friends of Footscray Park
- Friends of Stony Creek
- Friends of Maribyrnong Valley
- Footscray runners
- Maribyrnong River clean up group
- Love our streets
For more information on how you can get involved in these groups, please contact: Martin Forster, Park Ranger on martin.forster@Maribyrnong.vic.gov.au
A word from the Mayor, Cr Martin Zakharov:
“We are very appreciative of all the work of the volunteers who have helped keep our City’s parks, waterways and streets looking beautiful.
“Volunteers are the backbone of our City and is what makes our community great.”
Stay up-to-date with the latest news by subscribing to our eNews.