Property valuations are undertaken annually by the office of the Valuer-General Victoria.

The most recent valuations took place on 1 January 2024.

Council has no role in property valuations.

You can find more information by visiting the Valuer General’s website.

Valuation of your property

The Local Government Act and the Valuation of Land Act require all properties in Victoria to be revalued each year.

The Valuer-General undertakes these valuations.

Your annual rate notice reflects the value of your property as at 1 January 2024.

Why your valuation has increased

If you have questions around changes in the value of your property, these should be directed to the Valuer-General’s office using the details below.

Telephone: 136 186

Council plays no role in setting valuations.

Supplementary valuations

In certain circumstances, supplementary valuations may be performed between general valuations. They are required when properties have:

  • physically changed (e.g. altered, erected or demolished)
  • amalgamated, subdivided, portions sold off, rezoned or are affected by road construction.


Objecting to a valuation

If you do not agree with the value of your property, you are able to dispute it with the Valuer General Office as listed on your rate notice. An objection form can be lodged directly via an online portal. Their contract valuers will be in contact with you regarding the objection. 

There are two ways to lodge your objection:

  1. Via the Victorian Government's rating valuation objections portal
  2. By submitting the appropriate form with Council.

Lodge an objection via the online objection portal

To lodge your objection online visit the Victorian Government's online objection portal via the button below.

Lodge an objection via the online portal

Lodge your objection with Council

To lodge your objection with Council please download and complete the appropriate form below.

Completed forms must be:

Objections should be made within 60 days of the issue date of your original rates notice.

You must continue paying your rates and charges until your objection is resolved to avoid interest charges.

Who does the valuations?

The Valuer General’s Office contracts qualified valuers who hold recognised tertiary qualifications and who have the required practical experience to perform municipal valuations.

What else valuations are used for?

Your property valuations are also used by:


What is an Australian Valuation Property Classification Code (AVPCC)?

The Australian Valuation Property Clarification Code (AVPCC) is a property identifier. It is assigned to your property by the valuers as per the Fire Service Property Levy Act 2012 showing your land use classification and is now indicated on your rate notice.

For more information view the AVPCC codes and descriptions at the bottom of this page.

My AVPCC code doesn’t match my property and does this effect my valuation?

The AVPCC has no effect on the valuation of your property, it is used to identify the property’s classification (residential / commercial etc.) which is applied to calculate the Fire Service Property Levy that you contribute in accordance to the Fire Services Property Levy Act 2012.  

Legislation requires this code to be printed on your rates notice.