Memorials in Public Open Space Policy
Council currently has a variety of memorials across the city. From time to time Council is approached with a request to establish a new memorial for persons or events in public open space.
The Memorials in Public Open Space Policy provides guidance to those interested in submitting a proposal for a new memorial and provides Council with a process and mechanism to review submissions.
The objectives of this policy are to ensure:
- All memorial submissions follow the same criteria.
- Only memorials that recognise a significant contribution by an individual or group to the cultural, political or social development of the City of Maribyrnong are built.
- Memorials are appropriately located.
- Design outcomes are appropriate.
- Establishment of an agreed level of maintenance responsibility.
- Protection of the amenity and particular values of public open space, while allowing appropriate memorials to be installed in public open space.