Planning permits


A Planning Permit is often required if you wish to develop land, use it for a particular purpose or subdivide.  This includes activities like renovating or building a house, installing a driveway or operating a business from home.


The Maribyrnong Planning Scheme controls and guides the use of land and development in Maribyrnong.


Most new Planning Permit applications can be lodged on-line using Council Online services . Before you start please make sure that you have all documentation (application form, title, plans and supporting reports) available in digital form for uploading and have a credit card handy to pay the required fees.


The following applications are currently not accepted on-line;

  • Amendments to existing permit applications
  • Amendments to existing permit
  • Secondary consent requests
  • Extension of time requests

These applications can be lodged by sending documentation directly to: Emails must not exceed 15Mb and cannot contain links to documents stored in the cloud (i.e. Dropbox and OneDrive). If you need to lodge an application with large attachments please email us and we will send you a Sharefile Link which you can use to upload documents.


NOTE: Due to the current economic impact COVID-19 is having on our community, Council will waive all planning permit fees associated with new small businesses until 30 September 2020. This includes application and advertising fees. These applications will need to be emailed to Council Planning Applications inbox to avoid the online portal charging a fee.  


Useful links: