Apply for a personal trainer permit
Do you need a permit?
If you would like to use Maribyrnong parks, gardens or reserves for run commercial fitness training activities, you must apply for a permit.
Where can you run your sessions?
Personal training sessions are only permitted in:
You cannot run your sessions in high pedestrian areas, areas of cultural or environmental significance, or playground or barbecue areas. More details are provided in our Guidelines and Conditions for the Use of Public Open Space for Personal Training, which aim to:
- promote active and healthy communities
- ensure equity of access to public open space
- reduce the impact of commercial fitness activities on asset condition and maintenance
- ensure operators are appropriately covered by public liability and professional indemnity.
- ensure the orderly and proper conduct of activities in a Council open space.
A copy of the Guidelines and Conditions for the Use of Public Open Space for Personal Training can be downloaded below.
How long are permits issued for?
We issue permits for six-month periods:
- Summer season: 1 October–31 March
- Winter season: 1 April–30 September
Documents you need
- Appropriate qualifications.
- Evidence of registration with Kinect Australia, Fitness Australia or other recognised peak body association membership .
- Relevant first aid certification.
- Current public liability insurance which indemnifies Maribyrnong City Council to a minimum of $20 million.
- An emergency and risk management plan.
Maribyrnong City Council considers the safety and wellbeing of its community a priority and is closely monitoring COVID-19.
We are receiving regular updates from the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and with the current public health situation in mind, we are taking applications to use public open space for personal training for up to 10 people only.
To register your interest please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with Council's response to COVID-19 please visit www.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/covid
To stay up to date with DHHS advice regarding COVID-19, please visit the DHHS website.
How much does it cost?
*Number of participants
||3 to 5
||6 to 15
||16 to 40
||Crown land use
||$100 plus $2.40 GST per participant per session, charged quarterly
*The number of participants does not include the personal trainer.