Apply for commercial street furniture and footpath sign

Do you need a permit?

You must apply to us if you plan to use the footpath outside your premises:

  • for advertising signs
  • to display goods
  • for outdoor seating.


We consider:

  • the streetscape and appearance of the area
  • traffic flows and safety, including bus and loading zones
  • pedestrian movement and safety
  • proposed road widening, installation of traffic lights, building setback or a Council planning policy
  • health and safety issues.

We may also conduct a site inspection.

What documents do you need?

  • A copy of your relevant and current Public Liability Insurance Policy.
  • A diagram of the proposed set-up.

How do you apply?

Please complete the Commercial street furniture application form(PDF, 1MB) and submit to Council with the prescribed application fee.

Are you in Footscray Mall?

If you are located in the Nicholson Street Mall between Barkly/Hopkins and Paisley Streets, please complete the Footscray Mall street furniture application form(PDF, 909KB) instead, then submit as above.

You must also agree to any conditions fixed as part of the permit.

More information

Business advertising signs