Building or Renovating

Before you undertake any works on your property or change the way you use it, please consider whether permits are required.

Most types of building works require a building permit. A building permit is provided by a private building surveyor who will assess your proposed project and determine if it meets the standards. 

As well as a building permit, you may need planning approval from Council, depending on what sort of development you are proposing. If you do require planning approval, your private building surveyor may not be able to issue your building permit until you receive the approval from Council.

Common planning permits

  • Construct or extend a dwelling on a single lot.
  • Construct two or more dwellings on a residential lot.
  • Construct a new driveway.
  • Making changes to a dwelling in a Heritage Overlay.
  • Subdivisions.

Heritage properties

If a heritage overlay applies to your property, you may have additional permit requirements in order to help preserve the unique character of the area.

What controls apply to your property?

Every property has a set of planning controls that specify when a permit is required. Different controls apply to different properties, so it’s important to understand which apply to yours.

Have you got tradespeople in?

Make logistics a little easier by applying for a tradesperson parking permit.

Get rid of your rubbish by applying for a permit for a skip bin.