Registering your pet

By law, all cats and dogs more than three months of age must be microchipped and registered with Council.

The animal registration year is from 11 April to 10 April the following year.  The 2018/2019 registration period will start from 19 February 2018 and any new registration will be valid until 10 April 2019.

Half price fees apply for all new registrations from early October annually. Exact dates will be advertised annually. 

Pet registrations must be renewed by 10 April each year. Penalties may apply for late registration renewals. You can pay your existing animal registration renewal online

To register a new pet: 

You need to tell us if your dog a restricted breed.

2018/2019 Registration Fees - From 19 February 2018  

Fee type



Full fee $165 $165
Full fee with Pensioner discount $82.50 $82.50
Reduced fee $55 $55
Reduced fee with pensioner concession $27.50 $27.50
Registered Guide Dog or Government Authority Dog  Free  -
Dangerous dog or restricted dog breed $210  -


No part payments or payment plans are permitted for pet registrations.

Pet registration transfers and refunds

Maribyrnong City Council accepts a transfer of registration within the Council and from other Councils within Australia.

Transferring registration within Maribyrnong City Council: If your currently registered pet passes away or is relocated outside of our Council, you can register a new pet free of charge for the remainder of the registration year. To transfer, complete the Pet Registration Form(PDF, 740KB)

Transferring registration from other Councils within Australia: If you move to Maribyrnong City Council and your pet is currently registered with another Council within Australia, you still need to register your pet with Maribyrnong City Council. To transfer, complete the Pet Registration Form(PDF, 740KB) and provide evidence of your current registration in that Council. The registration is free of charge for the remainder of the registration year.

When the registration is due for renewal you will receive a notice with all relevant renewal details and fees to be paid.

Refunds: There are no refunds available for cancelled registrations, including deceased pets or pets moved to another Council.

Do you have multiple animals?

If you keep more than number of animals allowed on a property, you are required to apply for a permit.