Buying or Selling a Property?

Find below all the information and documents you may be needing prior to sale or settlement.

Property particulars

When buying or selling a property, you will need the complete property information, and may also want its full permit history.

Please request these records from us through a property enquiry.(PDF, 16KB)

Land Information Certificates

If you are selling a property, you will need to obtain a Land Information Certificate. The Land Information Certificate provides information about valuations of the property, the amount of rates charged and arrears or interest if applicable. The certificate is required so that the correct settlement can be made.

There is a statutory fee of  $28.90

Your application will be processed in three to five working days after your application is lodged and payment is received.

Urgent requests can be processed in one working day for a fee of  $135.90

Request your Land Information Certificate.(PDF, 16KB)

Change of property ownership

Please make sure we are told within a month of your property changing hands. This is called a notice of acquisition, and the required form will be provided to you, then lodged by your solicitor or conveyancer.

Planning certificates

A planning certificate details the zoning, overlays and any proposed and/or exhibited amendments affecting your property. This is handy to understand the controls that apply to your property.

Contact Landata to request your planning certificate.

Property Title and Plan

The title and plan documents describe the land including any encumbrances such as Restrictive Covenants and Sections 173 agreements and shows the dimensions and any easements.

Contact Land Victoria to obtain your title and plan.

Restrictive covenants

A restrictive covenant restricts land owners from specific use or development of their land. This may include restrictions on:

  • construction of more than one house on the allotment
  • use of land
  • building materials.

The covenant is detailed in an Instrument of Transfer which can be obtained from Land Victoria.

Section 173 agreement

This is a legal agreement between the land owner and Council and sets out any conditions or restrictions on the use and/or development of land. The Agreement binds both the present land owner and any subsequent owner of that land.

A full copy of any registered Agreements can be obtained from Land Victoria.

Accessing planning permits and plans

If you are the owner (or have written permission from the owner) you may request copies of planning permits and endorsed plans from us.

The request must be made in writing, clearly stating the property address and the permit application number/s (if known). Fees apply.

Accessing old building files

All building files including permits and plans, footing and engineering designs and specifications lodged with Council, that exceed two years of age are stored at an off-site location.

These files may be retrieved if you are the owner, or an authorised representative of the owner, by submitting a Request for Building Permit Plans and Documents.

Requests can be submitted online below.

Submit a Request for Building Permit Plans and Documents