Community Clean Ups
Interested in joining a local clean up event or starting your own clean up group?
There are a number of ways that you can get involved to help keep our environment clean and protect our waterways from litter.
Clean Up Australia Day
Join the litter clean up movement and get involved with Clean Up Australia Day!
You can create a clean up event, join a clean up event near you, or show your support for the clean up campaign.
To get involved, follow these three simple steps:
- Jump online to find a local clean up event
- Register a new site for a Community Clean Up, and receive your clean up bags and materials to get started.
- Contact Council to let us know where your site will be, and where we can collect your litter bags from.
Are you interested in leading a clean up but not sure where to hold it?
Our parks, waterways and riverfront are particularly vulnerable to litter. If you are looking for a site to hold your clean up, here are some suggested areas where you can help make a difference:
- Chifley Drive - Riverfront area opposite Coulson Gardens
- Braybrook Escarpment along the Maribyrnong River
- Newells Paddock parklands, Footscray
- Edgewater Lake, Maribyrnong
- Pipemakers Park, Maribyrnong
Join a local clean up group
If you'd like to get involved more often, you can join one of the regular clean up groups that operate in our City.
Love Our Street 3032
Love our Street 3032 are a volunteer community who pick up rubbish for one hour each month, working towards a cleaner city which reduces rubbish being washed into the Maribyrnong River. Love Our Street 3032 celebrate their clean up efforts with a coffee at a local cafe.
Footscray Rubbish Runners
The Footscray Rubbish Runners are a group of fun-loving rubbish picking runners (and walkers) who get together every month on a Sunday morning to pick up rubbish around Footscray.
Maribyrnong River Rubbish Club
The Maribyrnong River Rubbish Club get together on the second Saturday of each month to collect rubbish from along the banks of the Maribyrnong River, focusing on the Footscray, Kensington & Maribyrnong areas.