Electrical and clothing recycling in Maribyrnong
Did you know that clothing and e-waste are two of the fastest growing waste categories in Melbourne? In fact, electronic or 'e-waste' is growing three times faster than any other type of municipal waste. Yet almost 90% of the materials used to make electrical items like lap tops and phones can be recycled.
To protect our environment and recover more precious resources, the Victorian Government is banning all e-waste from going to landfill as of 1 July 2019. That means, e-waste can’t go in any bin.
Take your e-waste to a better place
To help residents recycle their e-waste and clothing items, Council provide 7 free electrical and clothing drop off hubs across the municipality so that we can recycle these items and save them from going to landfill.
You can also book a free home collection of electrical and clothing items using the Thread Collect Service.
Free drop off hubs
The electrical drop-off hubs accept all small electrical items that have a cord, including lap tops, tablets and mobile phones. Please note, items need to be under 50cm high and 60cm wide in order to fit in the tray. Large items such as televisions are not accepted, however you can book a hard waste collection, or drop these items off for free at a local transfer station.
Unlike some clothing bins that only accept re-usable items, all textile items even torn clothing can be placed in the clothing drop-off hubs. Materials collected are either re-used, recycled, or are converted into alternate fuel sources.
Acceptable items include clothing, toys, handbags, shoes, belts, hats, scarves, and accessories.
At each of the locations below you will find one electrical hub and two clothing hubs. Electrical hubs are identifiable by the bright purple colour and clothing hubs are bright yellow.
We urge everyone considering using the drop-off hubs to observe the items that can be accepted and to never dump unwanted items in these locations:
- Southampton Street, Footscray carpark (near Western Hospital). View map
- Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre, 1 Aquatic Drive, Maribyrnong. View map
- Droop Street, Footscray carpark (corner of Donald Street). View map
- RecWest Footscray, Essex Street, West Footscray. View map
- Maribyrnong Community Centre, 9 Randall Street, Maribyrnong. View map
- Bristow Street, Footscray Car Park (opposite Footscray City Primary School). View map
- Hansen Reserve, Roberts Street, West Footscray (next to Kingsville Kindergarten). View map
Free home collection service
You can now book a free home collection for small electrical and clothing items via the Thread Collect Service.
Supported by SCR Group, residents can call or make a booking online to have their unwanted clothes, household items and small electrical waste collected for recycling.
How to access the service
To access the free service:
- Book your collection by phone or online.
- Bag your items using standard household bags.
- Put your unwanted clothes by your front door the night before for collection.